Friday, October 23, 2009

Spinning Madness!

I have once again become very distracted. But it completely stems from my frustration with a current project. I'm working on a sweater that demands #5 chunky yarn with a gauge of 2sts per inch. Sort of spending $80+ I'm reduced to buying yarn that is turning out not chunky enough!?!? Come on. So what other option is there? Anyone? Of course, if you can't buy it then spin it!

Laugh if you will, but a few days after I was inspired a spinning wheel became available. I've purchased wool roving, watched all the helpful you tube videos and have completed a very crude hank of yarn. Brilliant yellow and orange twists are currently hanging to dry and set the twist. But as youtube is the best available source for my learning, I need to find someone local that can help me learn how to make more even strands and eventually the chunky and soft yarn that I need for my sweater.

So my current distraction is extremely amusing and will take much practice. But I cannot abandon all my little ideas. My Brothers fingers are still freezing (one glove is done) and Christmas ornaments still need to hang off of tree branches. One more day of work and a beautiful weekend of kniting and creating! What fun.

5 comments:

Barb Mowery said...

What kind of yarn were you using before you decided to take up spinning? I'm curious. I went from perusing expensive yarn to purchasing Lion Brand Jiffy which was Bulky #5. It's 100% acrylic and feels like it. But it has a nice halo. And it's a sea green color. Once I get finished with the second stocking cap, I will cast on for Wrenna. Have you ever looked at the blog Cosymakes? Cosette does her own spinning and writes about it:
* http://cosymakes.com/2009/01/27/super-fine-wool/
* http://cosymakes.com/2009/03/05/the-default-spin/
* http://cosymakes.com/2009/04/21/these-are-a-few/
* http://cosymakes.com/2009/05/08/the-usual/
Hope there's something helpful in there. Although I'm sure there's more if you did through her archives. Good luck! :)

Barb Mowery said...

Okay, I made a swatch to check gauge. I'm WAYYYYY off. I would need like size 35 needles to get the right gauge...

I think the problem is my #5 Bulky yarn. It's not thick enough. So I went on Ravelry, and here are what other people used to successfully make this sweater:

Rowan Big Wool
Berroco Suede
Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick
Patons Shetland Chunky - 2 stands
Cascade Yarn 220 Wool
Sidar Big Softie
Knit Picks Comfy Bulky - 2 strands
Knit Picks Woll of the Andes Bulky

I'm making an executive decision to go forward with the yarn I have, but I will hold 2 strands together and see how that goes.

The Distracted Knitter said...

I got the wool ease thick and quick. and I almost think it's too small. Only by a little. I'm going to press forward. Maybe getting #6 chunky wouldn't have been a bad idea. Thats good to know about the knitpicks yarn. I never thought of going on ravelry.

Barb Mowery said...

A lot of Ravelry peeps also went down to either size 15 or 13 for the main body of the sweater.

The Distracted Knitter said...

I see what you mean. Some of the ravelry people even went to 11's. One of the rav's had a similar problem to mine in that the chart was confusing me. I'm going to give it another go tonight. I may have to invest in another set of 15 interchangeables. Picking the yarn would have been so easy if I had known all this! Poor Me.